Friday, September 20, 2013

Open House and Close Up

Empowering young people by teaching them to think critically about government and current events is one of the most important objectives of social studies education.

There is an opportunity for your children that I did not have time to discuss with you last night,  so I would like to share it with you now. Close Up (http://www.closeup.org/why-close-up/mission) is a non-profit organization whose mission is to educate young people about their rights and responsibilities as citizens.  Close Up provides a learning experience in Washington D.C. and is an incredible opportunity to see the political process "up close". I am one of the chaperones for the trip, with Mr. Leyden, and we will be happy to talk with you more about it. If you are interested, let me know and I can send additional information that is specific to the trip.

Thanks to all of you that attended Open House last night. I enjoyed meeting and talking with you, briefly, with you about the class. As a teacher/parent I fully appreciate the value of communication between home and school, so please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.


No comments:

Post a Comment